Cipro is an antimicrobial drug with a wide spectrum of antibacterial action. It is one of the most frequently used antibiotics in modern pharmacological practice. It has the best combination of safety and efficiency.
Bacteria such as Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Enterobacteria, Escherichia coli and Haemophilus influenzae, Salmonella, Shigella, Legionella, Chlamydia, Mycobacteria and many others are sensitive to the action of Cipro. So, the spectrum of application of this antibiotic ranges from common ENT infections to severe diseases of the genitourinary system and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Brand Name: Cipro;
- Active Ingredient: Ciprofloxacin;
- Manufacturer: Bayer.
Active substance Ciprofloxacin
Ciprofloxacin is the drug substance of Cipro.
This active ingredient provides a bactericidal effect over a wide range of pathogenic microorganisms. It neither slows down nor stops the development and reproduction of bacteria, as bacteriostatic drugs do.
The specific of a bactericidal antibiotic is complete suppression of bacteria. Subsequently, dead cells of pathogens are eliminated naturally and the likelihood of the infection relapse is much lower than with other types of antibiotics.
The mechanism of Ciprofloxacin action is based on the inhibition of bacterial DNA gyrase, an enzyme responsible for DNA division, without which the process of protein synthesis of microorganisms is impossible. When protein synthesis is disturbed, the destruction of the cell wall of bacteria begins and they gradually die.
This mechanism of action is characterized not only by high efficiency, but also by low toxicity. This is explained by the fact that DNA gyrase is present only in pathogenic microorganisms, and these are not present in the human body. That is why this antibiotic does not affect healthy cells.
Resistance to Ciprofloxacin develops very slowly due to the fact that after the action of the drug there remain no active microorganisms. It suppresses any pathogenic forms.
Indications for use
Cipro demonstrates high efficiency in the treatment of the following infectious and inflammatory diseases:
- ENT organs: otitis, antritis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis;
- Respiratory organs: bronchitis (acute and chronic), pneumonia, cystic fibrosis;
- Urinary system organs: cystitis, pyelonephritis, prostatitis, endometritis, gonorrhea, chlamydia;
- Abdominal and gastrointestinal infections: salmonellosis, peritonitis, typhoid fever, cholera, etc.
Cipro also copes well with the infections of skin, soft tissues, mucous membranes, especially with infections that develop in immunodeficiency.
Treatment regimens and dosages
- The course of treatment usually lasts 5 to 10 days, and in case of severe infectious processes, it can be extended up to 14–15 days.
- As a rule, a daily dose of Cipro for an adult patient varies from 500 mg to 1500 mg per day. The dosage regimen depends on the type of infection, the severity of the infectious process, the general condition of the patient and many other factors.
- For moderate infections, you should take Cipro at a dose of 500 mg 2 times a day. For elderly patients, it would be better to reduce this dose to 250 mg 2 times a day.
- In case of a severe persistent infection, the daily dose may be increased and then patients will need to take Cipro at a dose of 750 mg 2 times a day.
Recommendations for use
- During treatment, drink a lot of water and take the pills on an empty stomach to increase the bioavailability of the active substance.
- It is strictly forbidden to change the dose of the drug or stop treatment when the state of health improves. Even if you feel better, continue taking the medicine for at least another 2–3 days. If treatment is stopped too soon, the infection may come back.
If you miss a dose and it is at least 6 hours to the next dose, you can take a Cipro tablet. If it is less than 6 hours to the next dose, do not take a double dose. Continue the treatment according to your regimen.
- Patients with impaired kidney/liver function or who are over 60 years of age should take only ½ of a daily dose.
- In case of acute inflammatory bowel disease, Cipro is contraindicated.
- Patients with epilepsy or severe organic brain diseases should only take Cipro in the absence of alternatives, at the minimum dosage, under the supervision of a doctor.
- If a patient is diagnosed with atherosclerosis of the cerebral vessels, the use of Cipro may be contraindicated, depending on the clinical presentation of the disease.
Attention! Cipro is contraindicated for patients under 18 years of age. Exceptions can only be cases with an increased threat to the life of a child or teenager.
Use of Cipro during pregnancy
The antibiotic Cipro is not intended for pregnant women, as its use can harm the health and development of the fetus.
If the drug is used during breastfeeding, you need to switch the baby to bottle-feeding.
Possible side effects
Dryness of the oral mucosa, nausea, decreased appetite, dizziness, diarrhea, taste change, anxiety, sleep disturbance may manifest during the first 2–3 days of treatment. Later, these side effects resolve without the help of a doctor.
Also, the use of Cipro can provoke the formation of renal salts and stones, so, when taking this antibiotic, you should drink a lot of water and after the end of treatment, you should do ultrasound scanning of the kidneys and abdominal organs.
If side effects persist for more than 4–5 days, contact your doctor for advice.
Ciprofloxacin: interaction with other drugs
Cipro interacts with:
- Hypoglycemic drugs;
- Theophylline and other xanthines, including caffeine;
- Indirect anticoagulants;
- Other antibiotics;
- Ethanol and alcohol-containing drugs.
When interacting with these drug groups, various reactions can happen ranging from side effects to a decrease/increase in the therapeutic properties of the drugs. For more information, contact your doctor and tell him about the medications that you use.
Store Cipro tablets in a dark place at a temperature of 5°С to 20°С out of the reach of children.
Affordable antibiotic Cipro online
At the first symptoms of an infectious disease, do not waste your time. You should buy Cipro as soon as possible, before receiving the result of a microbiological blood test. If necessary, you can change the treatment regimen, but a prompt response will not allow the infection to develop.
At our online pharmacy, you can buy Cipro at a reasonable price, with express delivery throughout Europe. We offer our customers the best service on the market and only original antibiotics. You can buy Cipro even if you do not have a prescription from a doctor. We will make sure that Cipro tablets bought online are delivered to your home in the shortest possible time.